Message from NACSN President
July 24, 2020
Dear Colleagues and Friends,
Soon, it will be one year after I took the leadership of the North America Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN).
First, I would like to thank everyone to stay in the society and participate in the activities. Second, I am honored and fortunate to have an outstanding leadership team who had worked hard to make the activities organized by this society successful. They (in the order of their family names) are Drs. Rick Guan, Lei Hao, Peng Ji, Xiangmin Ji, Yang Li, Dongmin Liu, Jie (carol) Liu, Minghua Tang, Yanwen Wang, Chaodong Wu, Zhiping Yu, Ling Zhao and Jingrong Zhou, and Ms. Yuanhui Huang. With their support, we have accomplished the following.
1. We have applied and acquired the credential to provide Professional Continuing Education (CPE) credit from Commission on Dietetic Registration. Four credits have been issued to our registered dietitian (RD) friends over the past 5 months.
2. We have successfully organized three Webinars since January, 2020. The Webinars #1 by Dr. Lixin Zhu and #2 by Dr. Chaodong Wu were focused on roles of microbiome in the regulation of metabolic diseases. The Webinar #3 by Drs. Chaodong Wu, Ling Zhao, Jingrong Zhou and Guoxun Chen was about the Nutrition and COVID-19.
3. On July 11 and 12, 2020, we successfully held a virtual conference entitled the NACSN Summit (2020) Frontiers in Nutrition. Participants around the world had joined this summit. RD participants had obtained two CPE credits from this event.
4. On June 4, 2020, we had participated in the China International Forum of the Nutrition 2020 virtual conference organized by the American Society for Nutrition. Featured presentation theme was Micronutrients and Bioactive Compounds on Immunity and Diseases. Four speakers presented their research work and discussed about nutrition and immunity.
5. In September, 2019, Drs. Dongmin Liu, Ling Zhao, Jingrong Zhou and Guoxun Chen attended the 11th Asia Pacific Conference on Clinical Nutrition (11th APCCN) and the 14th China Nutrition Science Congress (14th CNSC) organized by the Chinese Nutrition Society.
6. In February, 2020, we have initiated the process to formally establish the status of NACSN as a nonprofit organization, which will help the society to move forward.
Third, I would like to remind everyone that Dr. Ling Zhao will take the leadership role on August 1, 2020. She will lead this society to move forward and finish what have left.
The pandemic of COVID-19 has changed a lot of things. There will be challenges and opportunities for nutrition professionals. I hope that you stay safe and healthy before we meet down the road in person or online.
Guoxun Chen, PhD. President of NACSN in 2019-2020
October 25, 2019
Dear NACSN members:
Golden Autumn season just arrived! I wish that everyone has a great year so far!
It was my great honor to be elected as the president-elect in 2018. Now, it is time for me to start to act as the President of North America Chinese Society for Nutrition (NACSN) for the 2019-2020 term. I am humbled by your trust and faith, and hope to reach every single one of you through this message.
Established in 2012, members of NACSN are people like you with Chinese descent. The goal of NACSN is to serve you and help you be successful in education, research and professional development.
In June 2019, American Society for Nutrition (ASN) had Nutrition 2019 in Baltimore, Maryland. More than 3000 nutrition professionals around the world attended this event. Under the guidance of ASN and with the help of Chinese Society for Nutrition (CSN), NACSN successfully organized the China International Forum (CIF), a symposium that has been part of the conference for several years. Members of CSN, ASN and NACSN came to give wonderful presentations. We invited Dr. David Allison to give a presentation entitled “Common Breaches in the Rigor of Dietary Supplement, Alternative Medicine, and Other Nutrition and Obesity Research”. Each year, CIF attracted significant attendance. It has become an iconic event for participants with Chinese descent and those from Institutes in China.
In September 2019, CSN organized the 11th Asia Pacific Conference on Clinical Nutrition and the 14th China Nutrition Science Congress in Nanjing, China. About 3600 nutrition and food professionals around the world participated the conference. NACSN members such as Drs. Guoxun Chen, Dongmin Liu, Ling Zhao and Jinrong Zhou, attended this conference. Some of them presented in the Global Chinese Nutrition Scientist Forum and other symposiums. All these have demonstrated the relationship of NACSN with other professional associations to find opportunities for its members.
Now, the new (2019-2020) leadership team has formed as shown in the table. An excellent and ambitious group of people with interests in nutrition have joined and agreed to serve. They represent students, registered dietitians, business founders, researchers and faculty members in federal or academic institutes in America and Canada. One common characteristic shared by them is that they have Chinese descent. Their professional network and activities demonstrate the diversity of this team. I would like to thank them for their volunteering spirit to serve.
In the following months, we will initiate activities to strengthen the networking, provide training for our members and community, preparing for activities in the Nutrition 2020. We will also start campaign to expand our membership size. ASN will have Nutrition 2020 in Seattle, Washington from May 30 to June 2, 2020. It will be a great opportunity to meet you and other colleagues around the world. You can discuss your research with them and enhance your friendship. I encourage that you prepare to submit your abstracts and plan to attend.
Nutrition is the science to study the processes responsible for human body to grow, renew and maintain healthy. It is involved in every aspect of human health, from bench side to bed side. The demands of services at individual, community, national and global levels have been expanding rapidly. More and more nutrition professionals with Chinese descent will come to North America and receive education and training, and may even start to work here. NACSN is a great place for you to build professional networking regardless whether you are a student, a postdoc, a junior faculty member and a businessman. This leadership team of NACSN will work hard to serve you and build as a bridge or platform for you to have a prosperous career in nutrition field.
Guoxun Chen, PhD
Dr. Ling Zhao, University of Tennessee, ;
Dr. Jay Cao, USDA ARS Grand Forks, firstname.lastname@example.org;
Dr. Huanbiao Mo Georgia State University,